Chia seeds are loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber and are the richest plant source of Omega-3. They are highly hydrophilic, capable of absorbing 10-15 times their weight in water, and of great help in keeping bodies hydrated. Another special attribute is that they slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, which is good news when trying to stabilise blood sugar levels to prevent binge eating!
- 1 pint nut milk (almond, coconut or hemp milk click here)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (or another sweetener click here)
- pinch of salt (Celtic sea salt or Himalayan are best as they are both rich in minerals)
- 1 cup or 7 tablespoons of chia seeds
Whisk all the ingredients together apart from the chia seeds. Place chia seeds in large bowl and pour mixture over them, begin to whisk until the mixture thickens with no clumps.
Pour into serving bowls and leave in the fridge for hour and a half for the mixture to set. Garnish on serving. You can adjust the sweetness. Coconut Manna (creamed coconut) is a great addition to this to make it nice and creamy. Also raw cacao powder can be added to get a healthy chocolate hit!
The nut milk should be homemade, but if it’s not possible to make it, use a store-bought unsweetened brand.